Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. --- Mark Twain

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Tanzania - Kimani Falls

Day 296
31406 km since the beginning
Written in Malawi.

Kimani Falls was supposed to look like in this picture.

DSCN1862

The place itself is about 150 km southwest of Sao Hill, and then a dozen miles of less–used road. So back and forth quite a day`s journey . So I`ll load back everything on the car again and make a day`s test trip to see the Kimani Falls. Then return for one more night , although I have been visiting Estonians for two weeks already .



There were about 7-8 police control posts within these 150 km . At last I reached the river of Kiman. Turning left I thought it was the right direction, but in a few hundred metres I reached a school yard. Fortunately, the lessons had already begun , otherwise the audience would have reached to the horizon. I turn back and try to find the right road, but all the trails are only suitable for a motorcycle. I inquire the locals about the right direction and after a brief conversation one of them takes a seat in my car and explains the way between the village houses. Usually the guides wish to accompany to the attractions, but this time it is different. I was told that it would be about 25 km to the waterfall.

DSCN1857

Big Stones.

DSC02294

And dry riverbeds.

DSC02293

Meanwhile, much more decent road, but not for long.

DSCN1859

You could say that just almost there, the last few hundred meters to the parking place.

The Falls is visible already.

This visit was now very different from the usual sightseeing visits. Starting from the fact that no one wanted to come with and nobody was seen on the road within these 10 kilometers and ending with the situation that there was not anybody by the Falls. Neither ticket nor souvenir sellers. Probably not a place to wait for visitors .

DSC02320

Last trail was not meant to drive by car, when the road is still half a meter wide, it does not make sense to try to go there by car.

DSC02307

Another picture from between the branches. Everything is green around the Falls , but there is little water.

DSC02316

DSCN1891

DSC02295

DSCN1887

And then quickly back to the high road, because the sky has become suspiciously dark blue. Still, the rainy season is just beginning.

DSC02335

Somewhere here the back road went over the rocks and through the yellow grass.

DSC02353

In The National Museum of Tanzania, there was a wooden bicycle at the exposition and an explanation that these bikes are still used in some regions. And so they were . This specimen is obviously without chain , but still a wooden bicycle.

DSC02364

Warning triangle. On the road the twigs replace the triangle twigs. In fact in Tanzania a driver must have two triangles and it is checked.

DSC02365

DSC02366

Here a recent burning of grass has taken place. Anyway gas stations are quite safe.

DSC02388

Road-side Tanzania.

DSC02409

DSC02452

Real Africa

DSC02480

The road uphill to Kitulo plateau.

DSC02497

Pass Saba Hamsini na. In the local language - now the road goes downwards again.
The distance between the heights is a kilometre.

DSC02504

Next there was a big road towards Mbeya.

DSC02529

Except that I never got Mbeya. Because, before Mbeyat the traffic remained strangely more sparse, and there was practically no traffic on inbound. What was surprising in itself, since it is the main transport route from Tanzania towards Malawi and Zambia. And before Mbeyat there is a large road intersection where the road diverges.

I drive on , and see in front of me a long line of trucks , vanishing in the distance. I think then - that perhaps another truck weighing station, I pass them and notice that roadside gas stations are full of large and small cars . But there are no moving cars, an important traffic centre between the three countries, and there is no traffic. Intuition says that something is not right now, and I slow my speed, but still drive on.

DSC02529

This is the only picture that I took from there, because the farther I went, the more hands began to wave and signal me to stop. I could drive as far as there was smoke and fire to be seen from the distance and some kind of barriers were on their road.

For a moment I thought that a fuel truck has caught fire , but this time was it a completely different story. I stopped the car, the locals gathered around the car and I was made clear - I can`t continue driving because of the local unrest. The car tires were burning in the middle of the road, so that nobody could pass. No one wanted to talk more about the reasons of the unrest. I was suggested to turn back or wait at the nearby hotel. The traffic outage had began on Friday morning already and nobody could tell the end of it.

Anyway, it turned out this way that a local sat in my car and instructed me to drive - avoiding the big intersection and using side roads - to the road taking to the direction Malawi.

DSC02534

DSC02541

No comments: